VMG Nurse Practitioner (Acute Care) - Hematology/OncologyJob Number: 1903646
Category: Other Nursing Services
Organization: Hematology/Oncology 104379
Location: TN-Nashville-Preston Cancer Research Building
The nurse practitioner (NP) within the acute care hospital setting works in collaboration with, and is an integral member of, a multidisciplinary health care team. The NP functions primarily as a hospitalist in an inpatient setting, managing the care of acute/complex chronically ill patients. The NP is typically on a service aligned team managing the patient care from step down to discharge. The NP may have responsibilities for same patient population during follow up outpatient visits. The NP has a strong foundation in evidenced based practice/education and provides an environment of safe quality care. The NP demonstrates an advanced level of medical and nursing knowledge, clinical/technical competence, sound clinical judgment, professional communication skills, timely and compliant documentation, and is responsible for professional development and competency validation.
- Assessment of Health Status
- Performs and documents in the medical record a complete history and physical examination for acute and complex chronically ill patients.
- Orders and collects data using appropriate assessment techniques, relevant supporting diagnostic information and diagnostic procedures where indicated.
- The nurse practitioner may serve as the first responder for both nursing and house staff in the event of patient status changes, orders, and in situations requiring procedural and resuscitative interventions.
- Assesses for risks associated with the care of the acute and complex chronically ill patient including: medication side effects, immobility, impaired nutrition, fluid and electrolyte imbalance, immunocompetence, invasive interventions and diagnostic procedures.
- Coordinates daily rounds with the Attending physician teams, presents 24 hour patient report, collaborates in plan of care, and follows assigned patient population throughout the day.
- Collaborates with interdisciplinary health care team in making diagnoses of acute and complex chronic conditions.
- Manages diagnostic tests through ordering, interpretation, performance, and supervision.
- Formulates differential diagnoses by priority.
- Diagnoses complications and orders appropriate interventions
- Formulates Plan of Care
- Identifies expected outcomes from diagnosis, and formulates and documents a plan of care to address complex acute and chronic health care needs.
- Utilizes evidenced based practice guidelines or protocols in an individualized, dynamic plan of care that can be applied across the continuum.
- Implements and modifies plan of care
- Prescribes diagnostic strategies and therapeutic interventions both pharmacologic, non-pharmacologic and surgical, needed to achieve expected outcomes.
- Manages further diagnostic tests through ordering, interpretation, performance, and supervision.
- May perform advanced procedures consistent with privileges and competency validation including minor suturing, complex wound management, line and tube placements and removals.
- Communication and Collaboration
- Maintains ongoing communication and collaboration with interdisciplinary health care team .
- Facilitates and communicates with patient, family and staff to promote continuity of care across the inpatient and outpatient continuum of care.
- Documents/dictates key components of patient's progress via daily progress note, transfer, and discharge summary , and or clinic note where applicable. (h&p, daily progress notes, plan of care, problem lists, procedure notes, acute event note, discharge summaries, in medical record per specific patient unit or service, death summary)
- Documentation is timely, meets acute care compliance standards and captures patient acuity.
- Professional Practice
- Demonstrates Professional Practice behaviors including: preceptor/mentoring, education and instruction of students, nursing staff, nurses, graduate and novice nurse practitioners.
- Seeks opportunities for active engagement in research and the analysis of evidenced based practice.
- Actively participates in Grand Rounds, APN council meetings, faculty and unit meetings, M&M presentations.
- Maintains CEUs, and membership in a professional organization.
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt’s mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
Our Nursing Philosophy:
We believe highly skilled and specialized nursing care is essential to Vanderbilt University Medical Center’s mission of quality in patient care, education and research. We believe nursing is an applied art and science focused on helping people, families and communities reach excellent health and well-being.
Achieve the Remarkable:
Learn more about VUMC Nursing:
· Nursing Careers:
· Our Nursing Philosophy:
· Our Nursing Leadership:
· Shared Governance:
· Education & Professional Development:
· Life In Nashville:
· VUMC Nursing: